Thursday, December 01, 2011

Works in Progress

Photobucket

Modeled after the Baby 10 Sequencer, this provisional device has only a control voltage output and an internal clock made from a 555 timer IC in astable mode. The 555 pulse rate is fed to the clock input function of a 4017 Decade Counter IC, to determine the rate at which the 4017 counts to ten. In place of the "patchable" pulse outputs shown in the schematic, I've hardwired the 4017 reset function to activate after the 10th pulse. This  sequencer's future  incarnation will be built into a housing case that is considerably more spacious and elegant than the crumbling microscope slide container it currently occupies. Ideally, it will include a switchable Clock Input, skip step switches, gate functions, and multiple CV outputs. A more philistine disposition might be content with the Incense Vessel plus Sequencer shown below. More on swinging censer instruments at a more leisurely point.

Photobucket



4093 Drone Synthesizer

This circuit, also in a testing stage, currently functions only as a NAND Gate synthesizer. It utilizes a Quad 2-input NAND Schmitt Trigger, the 4093 IC. As such, it is capable of sounding like the timed emissions of a dam system containing some kind of vile syrup. I will be basing my design and modifications off a schematic provided by 9_volts. I have successfully built two 4093 Drone Synths on PCBs designed by the Portland, OR based company, Synthrotek. These have been very inconsistent for my purposes, and I have made an unfortunate habit of destroying them. The schematic provided by 9_volts seems to enable a more intuitive instrument. Several months ago, I started to etch my own circuit boards in order to experiment with clones of Ray Wilson's "Weird Sound Generator" PCB, and to test PCB designs that I made with Eagle Cad software. The housing case that I prepared for this 4093 Drone Synth is the same that contains my WSG, shown in the final photo.


Photobucket
4093 Drone Synth (Left Side) and WSG (Right Side)
Formerly an art supply case, I found this housing in a filthy condition among the abandoned belongings of a suddenly evicted neighbor. I cleaned it, sanded it, and stained it; then drilled into the surface and loaded it with medusoid circuitry.


No comments: